Production Manager wanted at State Theatre
CLOSING DATE: 17 MAY 2021
Salary: market related
Duration: five years performance based fixed term contract
Key performance Areas:
• Plan and supervise all aspects of production.
• Team management and operations planning.
• Prioritise health and safety in all aspects of production management.
• Research on developments in all aspects of production management.
• Planning and supervising all aspects of production activity
• Work closely in collaboration and partnership with the SAST’s production teams to deliver a professional standard of theatre production expected from the SA State Theatre.
• Working closely with Associate Artistic Director, Producer to deliver the online/live streaming productions
• Be the first and major point of contact with relevant designers, directors and technicians.
• Ensure that designers are fully aware of the restraints of budgets, staffing, licensing, health and safety requirements and the constraints of the SAST
• Obtain accurate costings for all productions and staffing requirements and ensuring that designs can be delivered within budget, including transportation of production materials
• Co-ordinate and oversee a high standard of delivery of sets, props, costumes, lighting, sound and all other aspects of physical production within agreed briefs, budgets and timescales.
• Address problems that arise within the production and where appropriate to communicate those problems to the Artistic Director or other relevant heads of department.
• Lead production meetings and ensure that notes are taken and distributed in a prompt fashion.
• Working with programming colleagues to schedule activities in all theatres and any outside tours, transfers or site-specific work
• Planning staff requirements and making any necessary appointments to meet the needs of the theatre programme and production schedule;
• Working closely with creative teams to realise their designs and compositions maximising the use of the theatre’s available resources;
• Controlling and managing agreed production budgets
• Leading, where required on all SAST co-productions and liaising with coproducers to ensure best delivery of our productions
• Ensuring the effective running of all production facilities including the rehearsal room, wardrobe and stores.
• Be in attendance at the fit-up, technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals and first performance, ensuring that all technical notes arising from them are passed on and acted upon.
• Ensure that all departments are kept informed of the requirements of the artistic team.
• Developing skills and performance for technical and production staff;
• Line managing and directing Technical and Production teams;
• Contribute to the day to day running of the organisation and serve its long-term interests as a member of the SAST’s management team;
3. Health & Safety
• Leading on the continued development and delivery of a safe and healthy workplace including the development of safe and efficient systems of working;
• Keeping abreast of current developments in health and safety and ensuring compliance with the requirements of the Theatre’s Health & Safety Policy;
• Ensuring the maintenance and safety of all working areas and implementing best practice across the department;
4. Commercial Activities
• Authorising expenditure within agreed budgets and reporting on that expenditure to the Finance Manager in a timely manner
• Complying with all relevant legislation.
• Co-operating and liaising with managers and staff, to ensure that overall business strategies of the SAST are realised.
• Take a leading role in the upgrading of technical equipment of the six theatre e.g., lights, sound, stage lifts and fly bars.
Preferred Minimum Education and Experience
• B Degree
• Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in theatre electrics, technical stage management or technical teams including at least 2 years’ as a Production Manager
• Experience in budget management knowledge, skills and critical competencies
• Able to multi-task, work calmly under pressure and meet tight deadlines consistently;
• Fitness and stamina to fulfil the requirements of the post including the ability to work at height;
• Ability to read, understand & interpret set plans and drawings;
• Good communication skills;
• Detailed knowledge of current theatrical technical resources, production and technical practices within theatre including sound, lighting and flying;
• Knowledge and practical experience of the implementation of current health and safety legislation;
• Strong organisational and logistical skills including IT and administration;
THIS IS A RE-ADVERTISEMENT, PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT TO APPLY.
Interested candidates should indicate the position they are applying for.
Hand deliver or e-mail certified copies of qualifications and a CV with 3 contactable references to Thembi Chauke, Human Resources.
Hand Deliver: Human Resource Office, The South African State Theatre, 320 Pretorius Street Pretoria